cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: Repository block and C2.2
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2008 14:15:40 GMT
Robin Wyles pisze:
> Hi,

Hi Robin,

> I would like to use the Repository block with C2.2, but I see from the
> Cocoon site that it is not yet ready for release. I'd be happy to have a
> go at updating this block for use with C2.2 if someone could tell me the
> following...

Although I haven't used repository myself but I will try to help you a bit.

> 1. Is this welcome/necessary?

Of course it is welcomed.

> 2. What do I need to do to get this block ready for release?

Main requirement for any release is to have no dependencies on a snapshot versions on artifacts.
don't know much about repository block so you might check it.
For a first milestone release I don't think expectations should be set high so I think it's
enough
to set up some minimal docs and have some code working. :)

For final I would like to see some samples (repository block lacks any) and at least minimal
coverage by tests.

> 3. Any documentation on upgrading blocks to C2.2?

I fear there is nothing like that but this is caused mainly because trunk has been changing
many
times until it stabilized now. Moreover, it is quite hard to provide general enough documentation
of
a process that itself is rather non-trivial.
I don't want you to get an impression that you are aiming at a dead-complicated task...

Ok, enough of excuse. I just have taken a quick look at repository block and it seems that
there are
only few issues:
a) there are no configuration files of sitemap components provided by repository block. In
a C2.2
advised method is to configure them *outside* the sitemap. See this[1] file to get an idea
how it
should look like.
b) there is old file containing configuration of caching source. This source has been refactored
and
moved to the core so this configuration is not needed anymore.

I think that the best strategy would be to create configuration of sitemap components in order
get them running then try to run rest of components.

I guess it's not that much work left in order to prepare first milestone release of repository
block
but having even few samples would be highly appreciated.

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/core/cocoon-core/src/main/resources/META-INF/cocoon/avalon/cocoon-core-sitemapcomponents.xconf

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski