cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Robin Wyles <...@robinwyles.com>
Subject Re: Repository block and C2.2
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2008 16:26:56 GMT
Hi Grzegorz,

On 2 Jan 2008, at 15:15, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:

> Robin Wyles pisze:
>> Hi,
>
> Hi Robin,
>
>> I would like to use the Repository block with C2.2, but I see from
>> the
>> Cocoon site that it is not yet ready for release. I'd be happy to
>> have a
>> go at updating this block for use with C2.2 if someone could tell
>> me the
>> following...
>
> Although I haven't used repository myself but I will try to help
> you a bit.

Neither have I yet, so I'm sure this will get me well acquainted with
it!

>> 1. Is this welcome/necessary?
>
> Of course it is welcomed.
>
>> 2. What do I need to do to get this block ready for release?
>
> Main requirement for any release is to have no dependencies on a
> snapshot versions on artifacts. I
> don't know much about repository block so you might check it.

Looking at the pom I don't see any version numbers, but the
dependencies seem to be:

cocoon-core
cocoon-eventcache-impl
excalibur-datasource
servlet-api

> For a first milestone release I don't think expectations should be
> set high so I think it's enough
> to set up some minimal docs and have some code working. :)

No problem.

> For final I would like to see some samples (repository block lacks
> any) and at least minimal
> coverage by tests.

Me too, after going through your points below my plan is to write
initial tests for SourceRepository to test all repository operations
using a local file:// based repository.

Ultimately I would like to see this block springified (sprung?) too -
I envisage us creating our own Repository implementations and would
much prefer to do this using Spring.

>> 3. Any documentation on upgrading blocks to C2.2?
>
> I fear there is nothing like that but this is caused mainly because
> trunk has been changing many
> times until it stabilized now. Moreover, it is quite hard to
> provide general enough documentation of
> a process that itself is rather non-trivial.
> I don't want you to get an impression that you are aiming at a dead-
> complicated task...

No problem, as I said before we expect to be making use of this
block, it will all be useful...

> Ok, enough of excuse. I just have taken a quick look at repository
> block and it seems that there are
> only few issues:
> a) there are no configuration files of sitemap components provided
> by repository block. In a C2.2
> advised method is to configure them *outside* the sitemap. See this
> [1] file to get an idea how it
> should look like.

No problem.

> b) there is old file containing configuration of caching source.
> This source has been refactored and
> moved to the core so this configuration is not needed anymore.

No problem.

> I think that the best strategy would be to create configuration of
> sitemap components in order to
> get them running then try to run rest of components.

Will do this and set up some tests for these components - I'm still
figuring out how some of the other components in this block are used
and so how they can be tested.

> I guess it's not that much work left in order to prepare first
> milestone release of repository block
> but having even few samples would be highly appreciated.

I'll report back after I've taken a look at the above and will
hopefully have an idea of what the samples could contain.

Thanks,

Robin