cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From solprovi...@apache.org
Subject Re: svn commit: r606743 - /cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/tools/targets/webapp-build.xml
Date Sat, 29 Dec 2007 21:36:24 GMT

On 12/29/07, Grzegorz Kossakowski <grek@tuffmail.com> wrote:
> solprovider@apache.org pisze:
> > We needed a new 2.1 because at least one very annoying bug was
> > patched.  When releasing 2.1.11 was first discussed, someone mentioned
> > making this the final release as most of the Cocoon devs are working
> > on 2.2.  I hope you are correct that development of Cocoon-2.1 has not
> > ended.  I like Cocoon-2.1 and have several patches to contribute.
> > This patch was to make application creation even easier.  Cocoon-2.2
> > has progressed in a different direction and requires much more
> > configuration.
> It was me who wanted to kill 2.1.x branch but I was pointed out immediately that in OS
world there
> is no way to kill something. As long as there is a community interest 2.1.x branch will
be live. You
> may noticed that some people has expressed such an interest.
>
> I understand your motivation to have all your patches included in upcoming release but
this one is
> really controversial so you must understand it may generate tensions.
>
> When it comes to reviewing. I think it's fair to say that if there is no response to
your JIRA
> report/mail on dev within 2-3 weeks it's wise to send another e-mail to the dev list
reminding
> people of your affair. I have done this several times in the past.
> Grzegorz Kossakowski

Having commit rights meant I did not need to sit back and wait.  The
jira gave the project notice of my intentions; nobody objected.
Controversy requires interest.  Nobody cared about this.  I would have
committed this two weeks after the jira if I had time.  Committing
generated more review, but none was constructive.

Fixing the implementation required much less thought than this thread.
 I reopened the jira and added an implementation that solves the
ant-copy-filtering concerns:
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2074
Can this be included in 2.1.11?

Killing an OS project is easy -- just create a new version that
interests developers and chases away users.  The old versions die from
lack of development.  The new version dies from lack of use.  A
demonstration is in progress.

solprovider