cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Micro-Cocoon
Date Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:11:16 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>> o aspect-oriented profiling of pipelines
>
> Could you elaborate on this? I may not know all fashionable terminology. :-)

My idea is that profiling should only be an aspect on pipeline processing. In
2.1/2.2 you have to use a different pipeline implementation for profiling - I
think we can do better.

>> o build upon the servlet-service-framework so that this reduced version can
>> be run in parallel with a 2.2 application (in order to save already made
>> investments)
>
> Good idea and should be quite easy to achieve this goal.
>
>> o reduce the dependencies to external libraries to a minimum
>
> I'm sure Maven will help us with that greatly.
>
>> o sitemaps as Spring bean definitions (mid-term goal)
>
> Can you explain what do you mean by that? I'm very confused...

Here the idea is putting sitemaps into Spring XML configuration files.

> I agree that touching the code is highly recommended but I wonder how it's
> going to work. Achieving most of the goals above will demand touching deepest
> core of the Cocoon and it's going to destabilize it for sure. If more people
> start to commit big changes I feat we will end up with not-working, complete
> disaster.

Just to make it clear: this will NOT happen in trunk. But nonetheless, you're
right, we have to coordinate the real big changes very carefully.

> It may be that I'm just too young committer and I don't remember how C1.0 ->
> C2.0 transition has been managed.
>
> Do you have a good plan ? :)

A good plan? Don't know ...
In contrast to the move from 1.x to 2.0 we start off with the already existing
codebase instead of starting off from scratch. Then we can start to refactor
without having to care too much about backwards-compatibility. My only goal is
that Micro-Cocoon should be very familiar to somebody who is already using
Cocoon 2.2.
Back to your question, I know that it will be very difficult or even impossible
to apply patches to trunk and to whiteboard automatically but I guess that's the
price we have to pay.