cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Micro-Cocoon
Date Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:35:19 GMT

We at Indoqa have started to think about working on a slimmed down version of
Cocoon 2.2 ("Micro-Cocoon"). By doing this we pursue a couple of goals:

  o increase the maintainability of Cocoon
    (Cocoon 2.2 is already a big improvement but still too complicated
     in some areas)
  o optimize Cocoon for the development of RESTful services
  o enable the usage of pipelines via a Java API
  o make Cocoon pipelines/sitemaps ready for the usage in OSGi environments
  o aspect-oriented profiling of pipelines
  o build upon the servlet-service-framework so that this reduced version
    can be run in parallel with a 2.2 application (in order to save already
    made investments)
  o reduce the dependencies to external libraries to a minimum
  o sitemaps as Spring bean definitions (mid-term goal)
  o pull pipelines (long-term goal)

In order to reach these goals we want to start off with existing code, but then
continue with removing

  o all dependencies on Avalon/Excalibur
  o the support for sub-sitemaps (no map:mount)
  o the support for sitemap-level components (no map:components)
  o the support for the cocoon-protocol
  o map:resource
  o map:view

Having said this, I want to mention that, for us, the Micro-Cocoon effort is a
feasability study, that we will conduct over the next 8 weeks. However, in order
to make it not only based on theoretical assumptions, we also want to touch
code. Since we think that this might be of interest for others too, we would
like to work into a public repository, preferably the Cocoon whiteboard.
We have also invited Grek who will come to Vienna for a couple of days and will
support us with his expertise. Based on the result of the study, we will decide
if/how we will continue.

I know, that as I'm a Cocoon committer, I'm free to add anything which is
somehow related to Cocoon to the whiteboard without asking before, but in this
case I'm not sure about the impact on our community if we start off another
effort on "improving" Cocoon (2.2 still hasn't reached a final release yet).
Is it a good idea to use the Cocoon whiteboard? Or shall we go to Sourceforge,
Apache Labs, or even do it only internally? etc.
I highly appreciate your comments on the proposal itself as well as on the
setting. Thanks.