cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: JXPathHelper
Date Mon, 24 Dec 2007 23:03:53 GMT
Ralph Goers pisze:
> So you have no problem breaking API contracts with end users on minor
> point releases?

To be honest I was thinking about 2.2 mainly. Anyway, I agree with everything that has been
said in
the thread[1] mentioned by you but at the same time I see some subtle details:
1. JXPathHelper, even if not marked explicitly, should be considered as rather internal class.
It
has absolutely no Javadocs and does not look as a standard API.
2. Current behavior of getAttribute() method does not fulfill any API's needs as there are
no
documentation on how it is supposed to work. What's more current behavior is completely different
from what one could expect taking javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest.getAttribute() as
an example
of similar functionality.
3. We are really bad on releasing and desperately bad on making minor releases. It was clearly
shown
by Antonio: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/76241

I'm not sure if it's just me not being in good condition overall but when I read this list
compiled
by Antonio and realize how long it takes to make a patch release I become really depressed.
Don't
you think that waiting about three to four years to remove (first deprecate) some old code
is too long?

[1] http://marc.info/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=108266407019215&w=2

--
Grzegorz