cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Servlet service request
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2007 07:49:56 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> I was referring to your Javascript argument: "I certainly won't get in
> your way, but I just don't believe we'll get there into browsers
> evolve into something "smarter" than what they are today. We went
> through great pains removing a ton of Javascript from our web sites
> because downloading the libraries was cutting response time in half -
> or even more on dial-up connections."
>
> Seeing one of the biggest websites enhancing their websites with
> Javascript is some kind of a proof to me that Javascript has become a
> mainstream technology at the client-side.
Sorry, I misunderstood.  I wouldn't argue that Javascript is a
mainstream technology. We've been using it for years. It is just that we
discovered that after the raw development was done on our current
project that the download for the first page was approaching 1 MB
(uncompressed) because different technologies were downloading different
javascript libraries. Even on a fast internet connection that made the
initial page load unacceptable and on slow ones it was terrible. What I
meant was that if a lot of this kind of functionality was distributed
with the browser instead of the application it would go a lot further to
getting it adopted across the board.

But again, this doesn't necessarily have a lot to do with REST. There
are plenty of JSF applications doing cool stuff with Javascript.

>                                      - o -
>
> I'm aware that there are only a few websites that follow RESTstyle
> principles. The main problem was that there hadn't been a real good
> source of information but since Sam and Leonard have published their
> book this problem has been mitigated at least.
> I'm pretty sure that this marks a major change in the way how
> developers are going to build their web applications in the future.
> Anyway, time will show if I'm right ...

Of course.

Ralph