cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Servlet service request
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:00:55 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz pisze:
>> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>> Reinhard Poetz wrote: What happens if a sub request accesses the session?
>>> Is an artifical one created?
>> The current implementation returns an unusable implementation of a session
>> which needs to fixed in some way.
>>
>> After have been using the servlet-service framework for about 1/2 a year, I
>> have to say that I haven't been missing the access to sessions because a
>> child-request shouldn't affect a parent request. Whatever it has to return
>> to its parent, should be part of the response IMO instead of being passed
>> around indirectly.
>
> I have exactly the same feelings as Reinhard on this. If you want to pass
> something to child request use request parameters for simple values or POST
> request (using postable source) for passing more complicated structures. The
> same goes for passing data from sub-request to parent one.
>
> Basic goal behind such design is to really, really avoid any possibility of
> side-effects.

If we follow your arguments, we would also have to forbid passing request
attributes to sub requests. IMO this is too strict because this would cause a
lot of overhead, e.g. what about our flow implementations that allow passing
data objects ("bizdata" map) to the called pipeline (though it isn't possible to
call a servlet:/ URL directly ATM because always the cocoon:/ protocol is used,
but this restriction was introduced long before the servlet:/ protocol was
invented).?