cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Servlet service request
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2007 07:40:38 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> reinhard@apache.org wrote:
>>> Author: reinhard
>>> Date: Thu Nov 29 14:06:11 2007
>>> New Revision: 599593

>>> Log:
>>> - pass attributes, headers and parameters from parent request to sub
>>> request
>>> - expand sample
>> Since I remember some discussions about passing request attributes,
>> headers and parameters from the main request to sub requests and AFAIK
>> there haven't been any reasons not to do it, I implemented forwarding
>> this information.
>>
>> I don't pass the session to the sub request because AFAIR there are some
>> controversial opinions about that.
>>
> What happens if a sub request accesses the session? Is an artifical one
> created?

The current implementation returns an unusable implementation of a session which
needs to fixed in some way.

After have been using the servlet-service framework for about 1/2 a year, I have
to say that I haven't been missing the access to sessions because a
child-request shouldn't affect a parent request. Whatever it has to return to
its parent, should be part of the response IMO instead of being passed around
indirectly.

But maybe the portal experts can contribute to this discussion with their
experiences because IIUC, in a portal environment you have the same problem of a
portlet scoped sessions and global sessions.
Carsten, Ralph, Jörg, any comments?