cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XSP block dependencies
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:45:07 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Is the cocoon build really trying to rely on transitive dependency
> verions? Very bad idea. Versions of every dependency cocoon uses
> directly or indirectly should be specified in the managedDependencies.

The problem is that the groupId of the Avalon framework changed and that's the
root of all evil in this case. We ever never need a dependency on Avalon 4.1.3
but how to express this in the managedDependencies section?

The only chance for us is configuring "exclusions" but first you have to figure
out that you have to do it at all (here the dependency module comes into play).

I have also experienced very strange behaviour of the dependency resultion
mechanism e.g. I exclude avalon-framework from being pulled in by
commons-logging but then, when I use commons-beanutils, which pulls in
commons-logging, the avalon-framework dependency is used again.

TBH, I have no idea why the dependency resolution is still buggy after such a
long time after the first final Maven 2 release :-/