cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Enabling the SourceProtocolHandler in the Batik block
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 05:19:11 GMT
On 22.11.2007 6:04 Uhr, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> I used an action to pass the current source resolver to the
> SourceProtocolHandler, but this resulted in an NPE because the URI of
> the TranscoderInput object was null. After I applied a little patch to
> the SourceProtocolHandler which enabled the fallback to the default
> handler if the URL to resolve is null, it worked.

I tried shortly to get into it. I found some SourceProtocolHandler code
disabled (in comments) in SVGSerializer. Can you tell me how the
mentioned objects interact with eachother?

Your solution sounds more like a workaround.

> Is the SourceProtocolHandler supposed to work out of the box?
> Is it possible that I did something wrong which lead to the NPE?
> Is there a recommended way to setup the SourceProtocolHandler?

I can not answer these questions :) I only know that Batik once suffered
from the same problems as FOP, it was not possible to resolve URLs with
Cocoon's source resolver. For FOP it had architectural reasons which are
fixed in 0.9.x branch. I wonder if anybody has ever investigated it so
deeply for Batik or if it was just fixed in the meantime.

Joerg