cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can I apply COCOON-2145.patch
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:32:20 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko pisze:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I added an issue with a new input module which returns the full file
>> path location of the base dir/resource of a block.
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2145
>>
>> Can I apply the patch?
>
> Sorry but I've no idea - I'm not clear yet on blockcontext thing myself!
> :) Reinhardt? Grzegorz? Can new expression stuff be of help here?
>
> I'd like to see better name though... 'blockpath', may be? Or
> 'blockcontext'.

Sorry for delay.

I'm quite reluctant to accept this patch because I believe that one should never rely on block's
directory location therefore I think it's a bad practise to have such input module. However,
I don't
have time to really evaluate Thorsten's use-case now. I would say that I'm ok to add this
input
module but with fat warning that it should be used only if there is no other way and we are
*not*
going to support compatibility of blockpath module in future versions.

When it comes to new expression stuff I must admit that, sadly enough, it's almost death now
for one
simple reason: you cannot switch to new expressions just in one block without affecting other
ones.
We have discussed this problem with Daniel, Reinhard and Carsten during GT and we came to
conclusion
that we need to support bean property overridng (like in Spring Configurator) that works on
block-level. This way overrided properties would be visible only in certain blocks.
Even thought it's not that hard to implement this functionality (most of needed bits are already
in
our code) I have completely no time to do this in upcoming two weeks. Anyway it's high on
my TODO list.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski