cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [cocoon-2.2] Deprecation
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:46:31 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko pisze:
>> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>>> Why can't we wait? Because cocoon: + map:mount combo is a major pain
>>> whenever one wants to touch
>>> Cocoon's core.
>> Not knowing much about servlet: protocol, but how it is different from
>> the servlet: + map:mount? From what I can see so far, these two should
>> be - if not identical at the moment - but close in functionality?
>
> servlet: + map:mount combo is bad idea either because contexts would not be resolved
correctly. I
> mean: if use URL like "servlet:/something" in mounted sitemap Cocoon resolve it using
base sitemap.

Ok but what about "servlet://something"? In other words, are there any
differences between "cocoon://" (note double slash) and "servlet:/"?

> Of course we could fix that quite easily but the question is why to do that?

Personally I can live without "cocoon:/" (single slash), so I'm fine if it goes
away.

> Instead of using servlet: protocol + map:mount you should just create several separate
> SitemapServlet beans mounted at different paths

But this would not provide same functionality as <map:mount>. It would not give
same sitemap procession logic, would not give same error handling capabilities,
and would not have same container hierarchy.

> or split your application into a few blocks if it makes sense.

This is not really feasible, not for another 2-3 years...

> Anyway, general thought that servlet: protocol + creation of several SitemapServlet beans
offer
> similar functionality to cocoon: protocol + map:mount is right.

Hm I don't think I agree.

Vadim