cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <>
Subject Re: [cocoon-2.2] Servlet source description (was: Deprecation)
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:11:41 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko pisze:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>> Yepp, but unfortunately too many people rely on these side-effects :(
> Is there place where differences between servlet: and cocoon: sources
> are described? Or, at least, where servlet: source is described?

For the most simple aspect of servlet: protocol when it acts passively fetching resources
from other
blocks there is no such description (or at least I couldn't find any, I hope Daniel could
help with
this). Anyway, as I said in passive mode behaviour of servlet: source is very simple: it creates
new request (o.a.c.servletservice.util.BlockCallHttpServletRequest class) object and servlet
(usually just a SitemapServlet) is asked to process such request. The processing works exactly
same as this request would come from browser so the whole new environment is being created,

Little bit more tricky is servlet: source when it acts in active mode used as postable source.
Fortunately enough, this aspect has been discussed thoroughly and you can find links to the
important threads in description of COCOON-2046[1] issue where implementation of postable
source was

There is a third aspect of servlet: source: Object Oriented behaviour. This is already implemented
and was tracked by COCOON-2038[2]. The most important mail from the discussion mentioned in
issue is[3].

I hope this helps a little. If not, don't hesitate to ask.

Grzegorz Kossakowski