cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [cocoon-2.2] Deprecation
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 08:54:59 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:

> I'm sorry that I ignored your idea at GT but I thought you were joking and even didn't
try to think
> about it more.
Me joking? No way :) (Just kidding)
Don't worry about this :)

> Being aware that you were not joking I wonder what's the real benefit of running 2.1
in 2.2? When it
> comes to the implementation of the idea it would be quite easy but it of course depends
on the level
> of integration you would like achieve. My main concern is that if you run CocoonServlet
from 2.1 in
> 2.2 you will get your app running but such app will have hard times with collaborating
with 2.2 part
> like Spring-based components.
Yes, that's true. Now, at some point we have to break compatibility to
get a cleaner architecture and
an even better way of doing things. Perhaps removing sub sitemaps is one
 of these things, perhaps not.
But on the other hand there are many applications out there using this
stuff and they don't want to migrate. There is no real benefit for them.
But there is benefit for them using latest and greatest Cocoon for now
stuff. And this is very I think embedding 2.1 in 2.2 might make sense.
It allows people to run their old applications without modifications
while at the same time they can start new apps with 2.2.

As Cocoon 2.2 uses Spring as the container and as the Cocoon beans are
added to the Spring root container, these things are available in 2.1
through Spring as well. So people are able to call 2.2 stuff from within
2.1. It might be a thin bridge in terms of possibilities but I think
going this way makes things easier.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler