cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [cocoon-2.2] Deprecation
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2007 20:30:29 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler pisze:
> Rethinking the whole topic, I guess it boils down to the question of
> what the best approach is (that's obvious of course). So I think we
> should first think about how we envision applications are built with
> Cocoon considering all known use cases. This includes questions like "do
> we think sub sitemaps are a good idea?" etc. Once we have agreed on this
> we can think about how this maps to the way people are building their
> applications with Cocoon today (with 2.1.x) and then think about
> deprecating stuff, changing stuff or leaving it as it is.

Yes, I agree that we have to take a broader look at how we want applications to be developed
with
Cocoon. I believe I presented my own view quite thoroughly several times that can be summarized
with
one sentence as:
I think that the best way to develop Cocoon applications is to see them as conglomerate of
separated
blocks having their own contexts (environments) interacting with each other through servlet:
protocol.

> And I'm coming back to a point I mentioned at the GT which everyone
> ignored :(, I still think that one possible solution of a migration plan
> is to run a Cocoon 2.1.x installation inside 2.2.

I'm sorry that I ignored your idea at GT but I thought you were joking and even didn't try
to think
about it more.

Being aware that you were not joking I wonder what's the real benefit of running 2.1 in 2.2?
When it
comes to the implementation of the idea it would be quite easy but it of course depends on
the level
of integration you would like achieve. My main concern is that if you run CocoonServlet from
2.1 in
2.2 you will get your app running but such app will have hard times with collaborating with
2.2 part
like Spring-based components.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski