cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [cocoon-2.2] Deprecation
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 11:21:59 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler pisze:
> Hmm, as long as you just have one sitemap in your block this works. But
> as soon as you are using sub sitemaps in your block it's not the same.
> If people are fine with the change that all components are visible for
> the whole block this is no problem.

> Please note, that with 2.2 there is an auto include for per sitemap
> components which reads configurations from some sub directories. This is
> a very nice feature which makes packaging very easy :) But perhaps with
> using blocks this is not that important.

I agree with you that blocks packaging should be our main focus. However, is the technique
you are
talking about described somewhere?

> I haven't looked at the implementation of the servlet: protocol, but I
> know the (old) implementation of the cocoon: protocol. One of the main
> problems are the sax events combined with the required context changes.
> As sax events are directly send from a cocoon: call to the parent call
> the context of execution has to change back and forth for each sax
> events. A lot of things have to change and this was always a place for
> interesting bugs and errors.

Is the context really changed for each sax events? I thought that cocoon: protocol creates
some kind
of derived environment for each cocoon: call and this way (some) separation is assured.

Can you point me to relevant place?

> While directly sending sax events seems to provide more performance I
> actually would not care about this today anymore. The context switch
> should be done once, the result from the call should be buffered and
> that's it. But I think the servlet: protocol is doing this already.

I agree. The servlet: protocol does buffering but it does something more: it serializes and
parsers
XML each time servlet request is made. This really affects performance and must be changed
but it's
not that hard and the change would limited to only cocoon-servlet-* modules.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski