cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject [cocoon-2.2] Deprecation
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:28:52 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>> Vadim, have you seen our whiteboard with the list of things people
>> have been wondering about when it
>> came to deprecation?
>
> Seen it but I would not be able to recall it.
>
> I remember though that it was acknowledged that some of the stuff
> written on the sheet of deprecated things really had no substitutes or
> migration path towards 'new stuff'. Which only means that either it was
> on the list by mistake or because 'new stuff' is half baked at the moment.

I think that you refer to the idea of deprecating sub-sitemaps which isn't an as
good idea as it seemed from a quick glance because there is no equivalent to get
the same functionality if you have to replace it with servlet-services and
Spring AOP. Hence I won't suggest sub-sitemaps for deprecation.

IIRC it wasn't the functionality of <map:mount> that made some people think that
we should deprecate sub sitemaps but the <map:components> part of sitemaps which
causes a lot of complicated code that we have to maintain. However, deprecating
<map:components> shouldn't be a problem because there already exists a migration
path of putting your component definitions into META-INF/cocoon/spring or
META-INF/cocoon/avalon.

The second "big thing" for deprecation that we discussed in Rome was  the
cocoon:/ protocol and the the servlet:/ protocol instead. AFAIU the servlet:/
protocol doesn't provide all the "features" of the cocoon:/ protocol but that's
mostly caused by getting rid of side-effects.

Can somebody who knows the code and the functionality of <map:components> and
cocoon:/ in more detail than me comment on this?

                                       - o -

I think we should discuss these two big topics first and then we can continue
with smaller things like the SimpleFormsTransformer, obsolete input modules,
etc. I hope that I find some time soon to write a summary that contains a list
with all those components.

P.S. to Vadim: Of course we will give you a chance to comment on this :-)