cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: Springifying Cocoon 2.2 (or not)
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:23:54 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Leszek Gawron wrote:
>> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>> Do we really want to springify trunk *now*? The problem is that the
>>> migration of Cocoon 2.1 apps gets more difficult if you have to
>>> rewrite all your component configurations.
>>>
>>> My proposal is that we add deprecation logs if somebody uses
>>> <map:component> in a sitemap and wait with springifying sitemap
>>> components until after the 2.2 release. When we are done we release 2.3.

+1! I'd even suggest to add back avalon compatible sitemap components for those
few which were moved to spring 100%. Deprecate them, document in the migration
procedure, and completely remove them in 2.3.

>> What do we do with sitemap components that have already been
>> springified? CTemplate and CForms in particular.
>
> We release 1.0.x with Avalon components.

+1.

>> I guess your proposal is about sitemap components.
>
> yes.
>
>> Core components like continuations manager can be springified with no
>> harm for users.
>
> I know.

Obviously, they do lots of harm. And less users understand about them, harder it
is to migrate for them.

> Don't get me wrong. I would love to move to Spring sooner than later but
> I wonder if this wouldn't be a too big step.

It is. C2.2 is already more than year late. And if somebody have not noticed -
many of its parts are carrying "RC" moniker, which means *absolutely no changes
to signatures of public interfaces and classes*. There are alphas (and
milestones) for changes to interfaces, and betas (and milestones) for changes to
public classes.

Vadim