cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SimpleForm transformers
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:19:17 GMT
Leszek Gawron wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>>> Please, no more modules. It is bad already as it is - adding *more*
>>> modules only makes it worse. What's wrong with simply deprecating
>>> them, with placing appropriate javadoc?
>>>
>>> +1 to move to -components, these are certainly not -core.
>>
>> But this doesn't solve the problem that many components are loaded
>> into the spring app context by default. Having them into a seperate
>> module makes it easy to exclude them. But of course than you can run
>> into the situation that you only need one of them and get them all
>> loaded again :-(
>>
>> However, what we could do is introducing a rule that every *.opt.xml
>> file in META-INF/cocoon/spring and META-INF/cocoon/avalon isn't loaded
>> automatically but needs to be included explicitly.
>
> gosh this is hacky :). How are the users are going to differentiate
> which jars contain automatically loaded contexts and which not?
>
> Plase mind we are heading for source less releases.
>
> For users the message should be simple: put the jar on the classpath -
> cocoon will pick up the components. Do not put it there if you want your
> cocoon lighter.
>
> Would that be that problematic to have cocoon-pipeline-core-components
> and cocoon-pipeline-optional-components?

It's Vadim who's worried about more modules. I'm just trying to find
alternatives ...
In my opinion that's the way to go but there is still the problem: What can you
do if you only need one of these components?

As you say, the expected behaviour is that if you add a dependency on a
particular module, all components get loaded automatically. Maybe we can make
this configureable for power users who want to deactivate e.g.
META-INF/cocoon/spring/cocoon-foo.xml?