cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: springification of core
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 06:12:04 GMT
Reinhard Poetz skrev:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>> Leszek Gawron skrev:
>>> There is a lot of .xconf files in core. I would like to start
>>> converting them into spring beans
>>
>> Great!
>>
>>> but question is: do we want that for 2.2?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> It is a huge job to convert everything, so the only realistic option
>> is to do it incrementally, a couple of components at the time, when
>> people have time and feel like it. If we try to syncronize it with
>> releases we will never get it done.
>
> Right. As long as the shortname doesn't change most users won't be
> affected.
>
>> I don't know if we have discussed any policy for how to Springify the
>> beans, but you will find many examples in the core. What I would
>> propose is that for sitemap components, we keep and depricate the
>> Avalon configurability and life cycle interfaces even if we Springify
>> them. You'll find a number of examples on how this can be done in
>> cocoon-pipeline-components. As users probably have tons of sitemap
>> component configurations in their sitemaps, I think it is reasonable
>> to give them some time to change.
>
> Can you give a concrete example? E.g. the DirectoryGenerator which has
> already been springfied only exisits as a Spring bean, at least AFAICS.

The DirectoryGenerator is still an Avalon component besides being a
Spring bean. Take a look in its super classes and you'll see that it
still implements LogEnabled, Recyclable, Poolable, Servicable and
Disposable.

Then you might take a look at the ResourceReader for an example of
handling of a Configurable component.

/Daniel