cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: springification of core
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:04:24 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom pisze:
> Leszek Gawron skrev:
>> There is a lot of .xconf files in core. I would like to start
>> converting them into spring beans
>
> Great!

Count me in for applause!

BTW, Leszek I asked you to write a little guide for people willing to convert their own components
from Avalon to Spring. Are you working on it?

I'm asking because I think it's crucial to provide such document and if you are not going
to write
it I will try to find some spare time and do it myself.

>> but question is: do we want that for 2.2?
>
> Yes.
>
> It is a huge job to convert everything, so the only realistic option is
> to do it incrementally, a couple of components at the time, when people
> have time and feel like it. If we try to syncronize it with releases we
> will never get it done.

I have mixed feeling about this a little bit especially in this concrete moment. I really
believe we
are just about releasing final of 2.2. I'm not sure if it's realistic to assume that such
major
change as conversion from Avalon to Spring will not break anything.

> I don't know if we have discussed any policy for how to Springify the
> beans, but you will find many examples in the core. What I would propose
> is that for sitemap components, we keep and depricate the Avalon
> configurability and life cycle interfaces even if we Springify them.
> You'll find a number of examples on how this can be done in
> cocoon-pipeline-components. As users probably have tons of sitemap
> component configurations in their sitemaps, I think it is reasonable to
> give them some time to change.

Yep.

> For non-sitemap components we have just removed the Avalon stuff.

I don't parse this sentence. Does it describe what we have _already_ done or what we should
aim for?

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski