cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thorsten.scherler....@juntadeandalucia.es>
Subject Re: Logging of AbstractSAXTransformer
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:40:47 GMT
On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 01:16 +0100, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler pisze:
> > On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 18:27 +0100, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> >> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >> The problem is that the AbstractSAXTransformer still uses Logkit logging and
if
> >> it is initialized by Spring, the logger isn't set.
> >>
> >> Fhis has been fixed in trunk by Vadim recently and will be part of the next
release.

> > I must admit that maven and me are not the best mates, but I am using
> > latest trunk and still have this problem.
>
> Don't worry, after some practising you should get enough expertise in use of Maven to
work
> effectively with Cocoon's trunk.

jeje, yeah, I hope so. ;)

> > I reckon it is a maven issue with artifacts et al. but how can I do aka
> > ant a "ant clean build" from my current trunk and maven is actually
> > using the trunk?
>
> Just go to the Cocoon's root directory and type:
> mvn clean install (or some variant of this command like with -P allblocks, etc)
>
> This will install all Cocoon's snapshot artifacts made from Cocoon's trunk to your local
Maven
> repository. Then, when developing your application you just need to change version of
Cocoon's
> dependencies to snapshosts, e.g. dependency on cocoon-core artifact should have 2.2.0-RC3-SNAPSHOT
> version.

That means (for other newbies) you need to edit your pom.xml and update
all dependencies versions. If you have followed the tutorial on
generating you own block you will need to change at least three
dependencies.

You can find the new version in reviewing the different components.
e.g. ./core/cocoon-servlet-service/cocoon-servlet-service-components/pom.xml will tell you

 <version>1.0.0-RC2-SNAPSHOT</version>

So you need to change the tutorial pom to:
<dependency>
  <groupId>org.apache.cocoon</groupId>
  <artifactId>cocoon-servlet-service-components</artifactId>
  <version>1.0.0-RC2-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>

You need to repeat this steps for all dependencies.

A small pipe to fasten the task:
find . -name $ARTIFACTId|awk '{print "cat "$1"/pom.xml|grep version"}'|
sh

Where you need to replace the $ARTIFACTId with the name (e.g.
cocoon-servlet-service-components).

Then do
mvn clean install jetty:run
and cross your fingers.

> > Further I am really missing some documentation about components using
> > the new spring stuff only. I mean I know how to write avalon components
> > from 2.1 but since I am trying to jump on the 2.2 train I want to
> > develop avalon less components (I reckon that is the reason to use 2.2
> > after all). I will try to add some as soon I get my custom transformer
> > running.
>
> Because of latest Vadim's effort you don't need to do that much. Just write spring bean,
put
> configuration in src/main/resources/META-INF/cocoon/spring directory and it should work
as long as
> you are using Cocoon's trunk that includes all recent fixes.
>
> If you want to examine existing Cocoon's components based on Spring just search for configuration
> files in src/main/resources/META-INF/cocoon/spring of all modules.

Well, till now I just found transformers/generators that are extending
e.g. AbstractSAXTransformer which is an "old" component using avalon as
usual.

> When it comes to documentation, I think that document explaining how to develop Spring-based
Cocoon
> component wouldn't be complicated or very long.

Is there a replacement of the AbstractSAXTransformer as avalon-less (al)
class? If I write a al-tranformer do I have to implement an interface
with my transformer?

e.g. http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/core-modules/core/2.2/688_1_1.html is
avalon and not spring.

> The effort should consist of searching mail archives
> for all problems people had with developing Spring-based components up to date and collecting
all
> the hints in one place in a consistent way.

Yeah and maybe some "master" examples such as an
al-AbstractSAXTransformer and al-AbstractGenerator.

> Since I'm going to have some break from studying at my university in upcoming days I
would do this
> work since such document is urgently needed.
>
> Thorsten, I would be grateful if you could help me with this by reviewing what I write
or even
> gathering all e-mails related to this topic from archives. Yes, this would be very helpful
because
> it would generate more pressure on me. ;-)

Yeah, will try to give you and the team a helping hand while advancing.
We may want to open an issue to gather all links.

Thanks again.

salu2