cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: BookDefinition instead of NavigationDocument
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:28:23 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski pisze:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You have probably noticed that I'm doing some documentation work. I wanted to have
better
>> (meaningful) URLs for documents I create and recalled that Daisy has support for
this. Then I found
>> that we use BookDefinition instead of NavigationDocument for our navigations. AFAIK,
BookDefinition
>> does not support giving explicit IDs for its nodes thus nice URLs are impossible
to achieve. Is it true?

>> I found a very nice e-mail[1] from Reinhard that provides very good overview (thanks
Reinhard!) of
>> our current documentation system. Use of BookDefinition has been mentioned in that
e-mail in
>> following way:
>>
>> "I recommend that you use the BookDefinition instead of the NavigationDocument type
which is more
>> powerful as it allows the creation of books."
>>
>> Unfortunately there was no elaboration on BookDefinition power.
>>
>> How my problem can be solved?
>
> Reinhard, could you comment on this?

There are long discussions in our archives about the pros and cons and I was on
the side of those who prefer IDs because sooner or later the content doesn't
match this ID. Hence I have never missed speaking document names in URLs. I also
think that the Maven Daisy plugin wouldn't support them.

Answering your question: I think that's a restriction of book definitions
because for the creation of a book it doesn't add any value to set alternative IDs.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc