cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Java 1.5
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2007 23:04:34 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski skrev:
> Ralph Goers pisze:
>> Version 2.3 should only be created if we have some new feature for it ..
>> like OSGi (and it might even be possible to do that on 2.2 since it is
>> leveraging Spring - but you'd have to ask the guys working on it). I am
>> not in favor of creating a new release branch just to increase the minimum
>> Java version.  If that is done I doubt 2.2 will get any new features or
>> support so what is the point.
>
> What about some less distant and less ambitious goals like further splitting of cocoon
core, less
> number of dependencies on Avalon and new EL stuff as default for sitemap?
> I would like to include in this list other goals like finished implementation of postable
source and
> its infrastructure (like caching) but this is not going to be in 2.3 or even 2.4 of Cocoon
core.
> It's going to be feature of 1.1 version of servlet service fw.
> I mean that we should be less ambitious about cocoon core when it comes to feature-set
for
> particular release because most of the interesting stuff will be *outside* core.
>
> When it comes to OSGi integration I keep my fingers crossed for this effort and I even
would like to
>  join into this camp eventually but I think OSGi should not block any release. It must
be desire and
> labour of community to act as lifeblood not just our wishes.

The current plan is that Spring-OSGi will be released in december, so we
   should most definitively not let Cocoon 2.2 wait for it. Right now,
I'm the only one working on Cocoon-OSGi so it must be more of a
community effort before we include it in any release.

OSGi does not work woth "split packages", i.e. that some of the classes
of a package is defined in one bundle and others in another bundle. So
some reorganization of package structure in Cocoon is needed. This
probably means that Cocoon-OSGi would need to be in 2.3 or maybe 3.0 for
the core blocks.

/Daniel