cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java 1.5
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:14:14 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko pisze:
> Ralph Goers wrote:
>> Unless the -1 is rescinded I fear *2.2* will be stuck at 1.4 until
>> 2010.
>
> Here, fixed it for you :)
>
> You are saying it like a bad thing. Cocoon 2.1 will be stuck at Java 1.3
> until cows come home. And Cocoon 1.8.2 will be stuck at... Well, you get
> an idea. I'm completely expecting Cocoon 2.3 to be at Java 1.5 level,
> and 2.4 may be at Java 1.6 level.
>
> Our problem is not minimum Java requirement for Cocoon 2.2. The problem
> is release time lines. Cocoon 2.2 was supposed to be "Cocoon 2.1 +
> ECM+". Now we don't have ECM+, it went through Spring migration, there
> seems to be second wave of OSGi activity - and 2.2 ain't released yet.
> Now *that* would be a good reason to flame. Java requirements? Nah,
> that's peanuts...

Vadim, you have a really good point, here.

Not to respond to all e-mails I will summarize my standpoint:
I agree that Java 1.4 compatibility becomes more and more illusory as people are abandoning
Java
1.4. I agree that we should drop support for Java 1.4 ASAP but I strongly insist on respecting
versioning rules and keep our word at the same time. Here we come to Vadim's point that we
release
much too rarely.
That's why I would like to:
1. Release 2.1.11 ASAP (I would take care of it after GT) and we should agree on the fact
that
2.1.12 will be released soon (after two months from 2.1.11 release) and it kills 2.1.X branch
*definitively* (except serious security flaws, of course).
3. Let's release 2.2 final just few weeks after RC2 (probably at the beginning of November)
and
start 2.2 branch just for the core modules
4. Let's start working on 2.3 in trunk with clearly set of general features we would like
to see in
clearly set time-frame with preference of time-frame over feature-set. I mean, if something
does not
make it into 2.3 in planned time-frame it must be rescheduled for 2.4. At the same time, we
could
set Java 1.5 for trunk.

I think it's the right time to refer to Marc's Portier e-mail[1], especially that we are just
before GT:

> If I'm missing anything in our 2.2. moves then it is a "clean slate" and some freshly
burnt down bush and rainforest to start growing new ideas.  It feels (from some distance,
I admit) as if we keep dragging our history with us, rather then only our witty experience.

> As Stefano clearly stated almost 2 years ago: "It is time to move on". The biggest difference
now is that there might be a bigger base of people ready to do so, and with a more clear view
on 'where to'.

I agree, let's move on.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/74314

--