cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [GT2007] The program is out!
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2007 06:35:10 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On 9/20/07, Vadim Gritsenko <vadim@reverycodes.com> wrote:
>> Looking at the program - "Bertrand Delacretaz/Carsten Ziegeler: "Bye bye Avalon:
>> an introduction to OSGi"" - should this really be "Spring", not "OSGi"? :)
>
> It is OSGi indeed: we're going to introduce the general principles,
> and show how easy it is to create OSGi bundles and declarative
> services using the maven-bundle-plugin and maven-scr-plugin from
> Apache Felix. All this in 30 minutes, so bring your seatbelts!
>
> I agree that Spring is closer to Avalon than OSGi is...but at the
> conceptual level all three can be seen as modularization systems,
> working on different levels. The reference to Avalon in that title is
> a bit tongue-in-cheek of course, related to our collective history ;-)

<WARNING: LAME JOKE AHEAD>

After the talk you'll see that moving to Spring was the wrong decision
and we should
now convert the whole code base to OSGi.

</WARNING>

Seriously, OSGi and Spring work as Bertrand noted at different levels;
Bertrand and I will show some basics of OSGi. Based on this
"infrastructure" you can use "plain OSGi", Spring or you could even
think of creating an OSGi-Avalon bridge. I think Daniel will show in his
talk more about OSGi and Spring.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler