cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Springifying CForms
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2007 22:13:48 GMT
Joerg Heinicke pisze:
> On 14.09.2007 10:46 Uhr, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>
>> Speaking more generally I don't think that whiteboard is a good place.
>> What I would like to see is:
>> 1. You create branch (like cocoon-forms-1.0.X) in our branches folder
>> 2. We release subsequent candidates for 1.0.0 from that branch and
>> maintain it for reasonably short
>> time making few 1.0.1, 1.0.2, ..., releases.
>> 3. Meanwhile you (and others) can work on implementing new features in
>> trunk and when all (or most)
>> features and bug fixes for 1.1.0 are in we branch it to 1.1.X, and
>> continue work in trunk on 1.2.X
>> our 2.0.0.
>
> We used to branch as less as possible. This means we branch lazily and
> only when it is needed, not eagerly. Maybe we are never going to have
> 1.0.1 etc. It should be possible to create a branch from any revision
> later on - that was even possible with CVS.

Branching in Subversion is just making a copy of directory. You can copy directory from any
revision
you like. I understand your argument about branching as less as possible especially when our
tools
do not support very easy synchronization of branches. However, I think making svn copy is
not that
hard to do and would ease releasing work.
Branching is a way to make things more visible, it's easier to show when we are done with
particular
feature set and letting our code to switch into maintenance mode.

One important thing is that I would like to have short living branches (let's say max 4-5
months)
and more frequent releases that make transition between minor version changes smoother.

If there is other solution than branching I'm eager to listen but branching now or later is
secondary detail, IMO.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski