cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <>
Subject Re: Plans on Forms block
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:20:33 GMT
Dev at weitling pisze:
> Hi Grek, hi Jeremy,

Hi Florian.

> Some thoughts on my side:
> - Normally a Cocoon user doesn't have much contact with Dojo, iirc
> effects and drag'n'drop.

Yes, but there may be users that have their own stuff relying of Dojo's APIs. Moreover, we
(at least
I think so) agreed on the point that major change to artifact's dependencies should imply
new major
release of that artifact.

There are people already developing against Forms 1.0.0-RC1 that, as block's version implies,
see 1.0.0 final soon rather than new, incompatible changes that would push final release to

> - As a Cocoon application has to be revised switching from 2.1 to 2.2
> either, Dojo changes might be checked, too.

I believe in incremental updates and release early, release often principles. We have a great
in Forms block already, we should let the world just use it.

> - It would be helpful if Dojo is integratable into Cocoon in a more
> standard way i.e. no (or at least at a minimum) differences to the
> standard Djo distribution as necessary.
> As a non-commiting reader I would be glad to see these thoughts taken
> into account.

You are welcome to give your comments, of course! Could you elaborate on Cocoon's differences
to the
standard Dojo distribution? What's annoying?

> P.S. to Grek: As there hasn't been an answer to
> [] I
> still don't see the disadvantages of Ajax to prefer a fat-client over it :-?

I didn't respond your e-mail because I wanted to have something working to proof my concept
but I'm
so busy that I don't think I will be able to show something I could be satisfied with so I'll
address your doubts with words instead of example. Actually, I was having in mind applications
are fat itself so it's not matter if you go with Ajax or not, you are going to have fat client.

Grzegorz Kossakowski

View raw message