cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Plans on Forms block
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:20:33 GMT
Dev at weitling pisze:
> Hi Grek, hi Jeremy,

Hi Florian.

> Some thoughts on my side:
> - Normally a Cocoon user doesn't have much contact with Dojo, iirc
> effects and drag'n'drop.

Yes, but there may be users that have their own stuff relying of Dojo's APIs. Moreover, we
(at least
I think so) agreed on the point that major change to artifact's dependencies should imply
new major
release of that artifact.

There are people already developing against Forms 1.0.0-RC1 that, as block's version implies,
should
see 1.0.0 final soon rather than new, incompatible changes that would push final release to
vague
future.

> - As a Cocoon application has to be revised switching from 2.1 to 2.2
> either, Dojo changes might be checked, too.

I believe in incremental updates and release early, release often principles. We have a great
stuff
in Forms block already, we should let the world just use it.

> - It would be helpful if Dojo is integratable into Cocoon in a more
> standard way i.e. no (or at least at a minimum) differences to the
> standard Djo distribution as necessary.
> As a non-commiting reader I would be glad to see these thoughts taken
> into account.

You are welcome to give your comments, of course! Could you elaborate on Cocoon's differences
to the
standard Dojo distribution? What's annoying?

> P.S. to Grek: As there hasn't been an answer to
> [http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@cocoon.apache.org/msg53627.html] I
> still don't see the disadvantages of Ajax to prefer a fat-client over it :-?

I didn't respond your e-mail because I wanted to have something working to proof my concept
but I'm
so busy that I don't think I will be able to show something I could be satisfied with so I'll
address your doubts with words instead of example. Actually, I was having in mind applications
that
are fat itself so it's not matter if you go with Ajax or not, you are going to have fat client.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski