cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Dev at weitling <>
Subject Re: RIA technologies - which technology will "win"
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2007 06:50:11 GMT

> Unfortunately, that is not true of all environments. Many large
> organizations such as governments and big corporations will not allow
> their users to install ANY plugins to their browsers for security
> reasons. A team of testers has to examine every piece of software
> installed on the network and approve it. Getting variances for a
> particular application is beyond most people's level of bureaucratic
> tolerance. And since providing their employees access to sites like
> Youtube is pretty low on these organizations' radar, a Flash player is
> not something that it is easy to get passed as an accepted piece of
> software unless they have purchased other software that requires it.
> And THAT is unlikely because developing software for large
> organizations that requires Flash causes this major friction point for
> sales. For Flash, it is a vicious circle.
> Given how much development is paid for by large organizations, I think
> it unlikely any RIA technology will become dominant unless it is
> embedded in something else. That means SilverLight embedded in the
> browser with the most market share; JavaFX embedded in the JRE since
> many of these organizations see Java as mission critical; or Ajax,
> support for which is already embedded into existing browsers. Of
> these, Ajax is the only technology that is currently generally
> available within these large organizations.
> Just thought I'd offer another perspective.

Full ack. And some other points:
- Flash is proprietary. I don't complain about the "Flash isn't OS
issue" but it introduces dependencies we should avoid.
- As with better javascript interpreters (as shall come with new
Firefox) rendering time shall increase. BTW: 300 ms on client side is no
problem. If it slowed down every request on server it would be...
- IIRC Flash started as interpreted, too. Java is kind of interpreted.
Both are (partially) precompiled. Why shouldn't javascript go the same way?
- With the current Ajax/CForms solution we have a fallback option for
non javascript-capable browsers and even for non HTML. Cocoon is still
an XML-publishing-system so we are neither bound to HTML/browsers nor
HTTP (what about the refactorings of that ServletRequest thingie?)

Just my four dashes...

View raw message