cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <>
Subject Re: RIA technologies
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:37:10 GMT
Leszek Gawron pisze:
> Ajax is not the Ferrari either. I started to dislike cForms when dojo
> was introduced as main ajax engine. The simplest page with cForm takes
> 300ms more to render than before. Awful...
> As for the tools: there are no ajax tools available either. A JS syntax
> enabled editor can be hardly called tool support :)

> Client side javascript has exactly the same problem our flowscript has:
>   - you cannot tell if it's gonna work if you do not run it
>   - you have hard time creating test cases
>   - any refactoring is a major PITA.

I can imagine that!

> Other reasons why RIA does not work for me:
>   - try running it on any modern Smartphone and you'll fail miserably.
> Only iPhone has a decent web browser.

What about JavaFX again? Sun promises that it cares about mobile from the beginning.

>   - you introduce client/server again so you need to
> create/test/maintain your communication protocol. Another layer to handle.

What do you mean by introduce "client/server again"? Don't we have client-server communication
the time?

>   - If you are sending your business objects over the wire you have to
> serialize them (introduce value objects again) and loose lots of ORM
> support (old problem with serializing referenced entities and lazy
> loaded collections).

When talking about RIAs I'm having ROA in mind not business objects. Nevertheless, usually
there is
1-1 mapping between business objects and resources (in ROA sense) to some extent. What's important
with ROA is that you send links to other resources and don't even try to send every needed
piece of
data in one request. It's called connectedness of resources and it's actually one of important
characteristic of good ROA.
I have written something about it in this[1] e-mail.

Grzegorz Kossakowski

View raw message