cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wicket integration
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:06:01 GMT
Martijn C. Vos wrote:
> Jean-Baptiste Quenot [mailto:jbq@apache.org] wrote:
>>  * Grzegorz Kossakowski:
>>
>>  > What I would like to add is that our users already
>>  tried[1] to do so.
>>  >
>>  > [1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.user/61153
>>
>>  Thanks for mentioning this.  I remember now about this
>>  "UnsupportedOperationException" issue on
>>  ServletRequest.getLocale().
>>
>>  Indeed, that would be great to allow integration of Cocoon and
>>  Wicket.  Integration is already possible through the use of
>>  servlets in web.xml, but of course having the power of sitemaps to
>>  « mount » a Wicket application would be a plus.
>
> And what about the reverse: a wicket application getting (part of)
> its content from cocoon? Because, let's face it, Wicket has a much
> nicer separation of logic and presentation than cocoon, where html
> is generated by (occasionally very unreadable) XSL files.
>
> Having cocoon provide the content, and using Wicket to add forms
> and turn it into a real website sounds to me like the ideal way
> to work.

I've started to look into Wicket because I'm not satisfied with what I've used
so far (cForms, JSF, Tapestry 4, Struts) when it comes to the development of
*rich client apps* in XHTML/CSS/JS. From what I've seen I'm impressed but not
fully convinced yet because there are two other appealing approaches available:
1) GWT and 2) Ajax/REST.

GWT offers an even more appealing programming model than Wicket because you
don't have to deal with HTML at all, though I'm not sure if this is an advantage
or disadvantage. I'm also not sure how easy it is to change the look'n'feel of a
GWT app.

The Ajax/REST alternative (Daniel and Marc were thinking loud about such an
approach recently) is a third interessting option for me. Since I'm a fan of ROA
and many Ajax frameworks have made great progress for the last years, it would
be my first choice. The downside is the poor tool support compared to the two
others.

If you wonder why I still need (like) Cocoon: I consider it as being the best
option to build resource orientated applications. Together with Cocoon's Spring
integration and the servlet-service framework it's a real great programming
platform.

> I've been thinking about the advantages of a cocoon-like framework
> in Wicket, but I don't know enough about the fundamentals of either
> to tell how good or bad an idea that would be, or how much work.
>
>>  However, this would require a dedicated URL space like /wicket/**
>>  because Wicket has its own strategies for controlling the URLs.
>
> Very annoying, that. I consider this Wicket's main (only?) weakness.
>
> I want the strengths of both Wicket and Cocoon, without the
> weaknesses of either.

I guess that you can use the Cocoon source resolver within Wicket right now. You
only need to get access to the Spring application context and perform a lookup
to get a reference. (Provided that you implement the missing wrapper methods
which Grek mentioned recently.)

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc