cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Cocoon 2.2] Why use a shielding repository ?
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:28:48 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Olivier Billard wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The Cocoon Maven plug-in can be configured given a
>> "useShieldingRepository" configuration parameter. The effect is that
>> all JARs / classes are moved from WEB-INF/lib and WEB-INF/classes
>> respectively to WEB-INF/shielded/lib and WEB-INF/shielded/classes.
>>
>> The Cocoon documentation [1] does not explain what is the purpose of
>> this configuration option. Can anyone tell me, please ?
>> Thanks !
>
> Hmm, I guess to make the change in the classloader hierarchy explicit.

Yes, and to avoid that the app server picks up the classes as well for
nothing. This is just an optimization parameter. Without it, the app
server constructs a class path with all jars from the webapp and the
shielding stuff constructs a child class loader with exactly the same
class path.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler