cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <>
Subject Re: cocoon-template incompatible change
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:10:07 GMT
Leszek Gawron pisze:
> I may be biased but I would expect exactly the first case. I made a
> mistake in previous mail proposing jx:if to be scoped. Please mind that
> jx:set always puts a variable in current scope so you are not able to
> change variable value:
> <jx:set var="foo" value="bar"/>
> <jx:if test="true">
>   <jx:set var="foo" value="bazzz"/>
> </jx:if>
> <test>${foo}</test>
> </root>
> should result in <test>bazzz</test> otherwise people will get very
> confused. A common user won't find the case much different from:
> <jx:set var="foo" value="bar"/>
> <jx:set var="foo" value="bazzz"/>
> <test>${foo}</test>
> which in turn works as expected.
> Long time ago we have already discussed about introducing jx:declare
> along with jx:set. I cannot recall if any consensus was met.

I remember that I have read that discussion and I agree that there was no clear consensus.

I also remember that there were several folks expressing their opinion that jx should as far
imperative programming language as possible. I second that opinion so I'm quite concerned
with your
example. It is a programming language.
XSLT lives without such constructs so could you give us a use case for this one?

Nevertheless, we need to fix scoping now so we really need to gather some consensus when new
context should be established.

Grzegorz Kossakowski

View raw message