cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC final report
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:34:46 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom pisze:
> You have done an excellent work Grzegorz. Unified expressions will
> simplify usage of Cocoon and your refactoring will simplify
> development of Cocoon. Above that you have done a lot of good
> community and infrastructure work and helped revitalizing the
> community. Thanks to all your discussions Cocoon has been rather
> active during the summer.
>
> During GSoC you had to force yourself to go in to part of Cocoon where
> only the bravest dare to go, you killed some of the mosters that where
> lurking there making it safer for the rest of us and managed to
> survive the process ;)
Yes, those monsters was the hardest part. Thank you all for the support.
> I would guess that GSoC was both tougher and more rewarding than you
> had expected. During the summer you had to deal with the challange of
> applying theory on complex "real world" problems, to prioritze between
> what is important and what is not. Most of your co-students will not
> get these learnings until they do they master thesis or start to do
> work or research.
>
> It has been a pleasure to see how you have matured and grown in
> confidence both as a program developer and as a community participant.
>
> For me it has taken a lot of work to participate in all the technical
> discussions. But it has of course been very flattering to se my name
> and suggestions cited all the time ;) And to see my vague suggestion,
> be concretizied, improved and end up becomming working code.
>
> While I have lot of expeience in teaching, coaching and mentoring IRL,
> this is the first time I have mentored someone that I never have met
> IRL, over email. I'm supprised that it has worked so well. An
> important factor is that you have written so much on the list so that
> I have been able to see what is going on.
I really, really appreciate your and other's effort by participating in
these discussions. I wanted to discuss everything for two reasons:
1. I believe in collaboration. It proved so many times that other people
can help one crack really hard problems.
2. Whenever I work with Cocoon I always have open browser with our
mailing list archives ready for searching. Because of this unwritten
rule that we discuss all major changes to the code I could understand
why certain piece of code exists, what's its use, why it was done
exactly that way, etc. Especially when dealing with Cocoon internals it
was invaluable help! While working on new stuff I wanted to contribute
both to our code repository and mailing list archives. I believe it
equally matters.
> Thanks for you great work and dedication during this summer.
Thank you too!

Daniel, are you going to visit Rome in October?

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski