cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Division of Cocoon's JIRA project
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:08:37 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko pisze:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>> Vadim Gritsenko pisze:
>>
>> Vadim, I may be biased in favour of JIRA because I use it quite
>> extensively (as you can see yourself) but from my own experience JIRA
>> offers us much more than plain text.
>
> Yes it does but you missed main point - JIRA and independent releases
> are not tied as tight as you think they are.

Let's forget about independent releases. Take a look at COCOON-2091[1] issue, it has Fix version
set
to 2.2. Now if some user would like to take advantage of Xinha should start to search Maven

repository for org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-forms-impl:2.2 right? The answer is: no. It should
start to
search for cocoon-forms-impl:1.0.0-RC2 or cocoon-forms-impl:1.0.0. Our 2.2 is almost completely

useless because it only carries one information: this change does not affect 2.1.x branch,
nothing more.

>> Have you tried Mylyn (Mylar in the past)? I think that Mylyn is killer
>> plug-in for Eclipse that makes task creation very easy and _natural_.
>
> I'm IDEA user, Eclipse does not work for me.
>
> As for the subject of the mail - I'm -0 myself: I don't see need to
> split up and I see issues with broken URLs, large and ugly prefixes,
> etc. In short, I see downsides but don't see an upside.

I really wouldn't like to be seen as crazy person blindly pushing us to this split up. To
be honest,
I would like to do nothing. Such split up is lots of work in JIRA itself, then fixing URLs
in our
poms, etc. My goal is simple: let our issue tracking have valid information about version
particular
issue affects and version where particular issue is fixed.
Unfortunately, JIRA does not support versions per component but only per project. My own opinion
is
that's rather funny to call product enterprise-ready without this feature (or substitute)
especially
that there is huge number of people asking for it.

If we don't go this path, what is another? I think current situation is unacceptable.

> Just trying to give a perspective you haven't considered :)

I have, I'm just out of other ideas...

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2091

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski
*** My Internet Service Provider breaks my internet connection                ***