cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Division of Cocoon's JIRA project
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:46:21 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko pisze:
>>> I would hazard a guess that impossibility to plan independent
>>> releases in JIRA, assign issues to specific version will be main
>>> cause for failing to do independent releases.
>>
>> We agreed long ago to do more time based releases and less feature
>> based releases. There is no need for Jira to plan time based releases.
>>
>> Moreover, there is also no need for Jira to plan feature based
>> releases as well. You can as easily use status.xml (see todo section)
>> to track features needed for a particular release.
>
> Vadim, I may be biased in favour of JIRA because I use it quite
> extensively (as you can see yourself) but from my own experience JIRA
> offers us much more than plain text.

Yes it does but you missed main point - JIRA and independent releases are not
tied as tight as you think they are.

> Have you tried Mylyn (Mylar in the past)? I think that Mylyn is killer
> plug-in for Eclipse that makes task creation very easy and _natural_.

I'm IDEA user, Eclipse does not work for me.

As for the subject of the mail - I'm -0 myself: I don't see need to split up and
I see issues with broken URLs, large and ugly prefixes, etc. In short, I see
downsides but don't see an upside.

>> Don't be. Think of a bright side - status.xml is easier and faster to
>> edit than Jira! :)
>
> :)
> Let it be a joke ;)

Just trying to give a perspective you haven't considered :)

Vadim