cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Default Expression Language
Date Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:20:29 GMT
Thanks to Grzegorz efforts, we are now close to be able to use the same
exprssion language and object model both in the sitemap and in templates.

The whole thing is plugable, so those who have large investments in the
current syntax and models can continue using them.

But while flexibillity is good for back compability it is confusing for
new users. So we should try hard to decide what should be the default
expression language and expression syntax.

Once I preffered JXPath as my webapps where XML-centric and I used XSLT
and XPath everywhere. But now my webapps is more Java based, so JEXL or
JS seem more natural. Of these I prefer JEXL as JS is a little bit to
powerful as an EL for my taste.

But is the rest of world really using JEXL, JS or JXPath as ELs?
Wouldn't it be a better idea to use the Unified Expression Language (EL)
of JSP 2.1 (JSR-245)
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Expression_Language). To me it
seem like a rather good EL and there are several Apache licenced
implementations, Tomcat has one and there is another one called JUEL
http://juel.sourceforge.net/.

WDYT?

/Daniel