cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New expressions' syntax
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2007 15:20:32 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom pisze:
> Which IMO is a little bit less ugly than the "\{", "\}" escaping
> mechanism. And furthermore you should have most of your CSS in own files
> that you include, shouldn't you.

I agree it looks better.

I lend this code from our samples. There are even long JS snippets in JX templates 8-)

> Looking at the parsing code I get the impression that "}}" -> "}" isn't
> implemented correctly.

Apart from who is going to fix it, could you file an issue?

>> Next choice could be to use ${}. The problem with this characters is
>> that they are already used in Template and if we don't pick Jexl
>> language as default it will break current templates not to mention
>> confusion it would cause. We could come up with %{}, !{} or whatever
>> is not used yet. Everyone's keyboard has lot of remaining symbols
>> waiting for use but I wonder if we really want/need new wrappers.
>
> I woulf be OK, with chosing Jexl as default EL and using "${}", but I
> prefer "{}".

Daniel, what about back incompatibility, then?

Simply choosing {} is not a solution because there will be no smooth migration path for two
reasons:
   a) some JX may break as proved above
   b) it's all or nothing situation, if someone (or we) decides to switch to new expressions
their
existing applications simply break

Such radical step has its own benefits but I'm not sure if it's exactly what you would agree
with.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski
*** My Internet Service Provider breaks my internet connection                ***