cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Expression Block
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 07:54:01 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler pisze:
> Hi,

Hi

> while briefly looking at the new and interesting expression blocks, some
> things we should change came to my mind.

I'm don't think that expression is a block, I would rather say it is a core module.

> - We should use a consistent package naming scheme - I know that we
> haven't done so in the past, but we should strive for this in new
> blocks. So for the api, the package names should be
> o.a.c.{block}.something where something can of course contain sub
> packages. I know that this stuff comes from the old template block, but
> it contains new interfaces so we can change the package as well.

I agree we should correct packages in expression module but as you already pointed out the
mess
comes from Template block.
What's more, there was a lot of things to clean up (e.g. helper classes and object model
initialization, test cases) that I had to do first. I haven't found enough free time to restructure

package names.

When it comes to proposed naming guideline I'm fine with it, only wondering about block/modules
with
names made up from more than segment. Should package look like:
o.a.c.{segment1}.{segment2}.something ?

> - The same goes for the implementation, it should start with
> o.a.c.{block}.somethingelse and do not use the same packages as the api.

I'm lost here, could you elaborate?
I thought that both should use o.a.c.expression.language.something

> - I'm wondering if we need a separate ExpressionCompiler interface. What
> about adding the compile() method to the Expression which then eiter
> compiles the addresses expression or returns a compiled version?

Joerg already questioned[1] class names. Certainly we will have to take a look at this but
my
priority is COCOON-2110 issues for now.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/74116
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2110

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski
*** My Internet Service Provider breaks my internet connection                ***