cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: What's the use of fillContext method
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2007 04:52:05 GMT
On 08.08.2007 11:51 Uhr, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:

>> Well in this case, IIRC, these are *not* available in Cocoon 2.1
>> during pipeline execution. Is there, given huge price of
>> implementation, a reason to make them available in Cocoon 2.2?
>
> Ok, they are available during component's setup phase but no one can
> stop component from preserving parameters for later use, right? Exactly
> that happens in o.a.c.generation.AbstractGenerator.setup() method so
> it's quite common practise.
>
>>> It's basically price of having ObjectModel (and environment in
>>> general) as a singleton object (actually it's scoped to the execution
>>> of block, but it's not important here).
>>
>> How parameters above relate to ObjectModel? I'm confused. Especially
>> if we assume they are not needed. :-?
>
> Take a look at JXTemplateGenerator[1] and its performGeneration method:

> The most interesting line is the second one. fillNewObjectModelWithFOM
> method looks like this:

> Now you can see that parameters are available during pipeline execution
> in the ObjectModel so it's possible to have such expressions:
>
>   ${cocoon.parameters.some_param}

Grek, I see the problem - and I share Vadim's concerns about the
EnvironmentChanger approach. Though I can imagine the scopes as possible
solution I think this might be topic worth to be discussed. Could you
therefore please start a new thread (the topic of this one made me
ignoring it up to now) outlining the problem, what exactly has changed
between 2.1 and 2.2 (as far as I understand it the parameters were per
component instance) and possible solutions? The implementation of this
part seem to be rather important to me.

Thanks,

Joerg