cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [vote] Let our environment abtractions extend the http servlet ones
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 07:46:02 GMT
Joerg Heinicke skrev:
> On 04.08.2007 9:03 Uhr, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> I don't want this to collide with releasing 2.2, so I'll wait with
>> introducing the changes if there is any risk for that.
>
> Can you please clarify what exactly this vote is now about?
It is about "letting our environment abtractions extend the http servlet
ones" in Cocoon 2.2. But with the extra condition that if we start the
process of releasing RC2 soon, we wait with the environment
modifications until 2.3.

Now Reinhard will not be able to take care about the release until mid
September as earliest. And no ones else has volunteered. So currently it
seem like that I would have plenty of time to introduce and test the
environment changes before a new release (given that we agree about
doing it).
> To do it at all thought we had already decided that some time ago)?
As it requires a non-compatible API change a vote is needed (although a
lazy vote maybe would have been enough). I don't remember that we have
voted about it.
> To do it with upcoming 2.2 or in 2.3? What made me wonder was
> Reinhard's mentioning of not having announced 2.2 RC 1 yet (what I
> found a rather lame excuse ;) ).
As long as we clearly document the change in the release note, I don't
see that it would be such a problem.
> Anyway, +1 for me to do it in 2.3. We can deprecate them now in 2.2.
Unfortunately it is more complicated than that. The non-compatible
change is that Request.getSession switches return value from
o.a.c.environment.Session to javax.servlet.http.HttpSession and that
Request.getCookie switch return value from o.a.c.environment.Cookie to
javax.servlet.http.Cookie. You, of course, cannot have a method with two
different return types. So there is no point in deprecating
Request.getSession and Request.getCookie in 2.2 as we not will have any
replacements until 2.3 in that case. So the deprecation mechanism is
AFAICS not applicable.

So as this change cannot be done in steps, users will need to update
their code directly, be it in 2.2 or 2.3. So are not simplifying
anything by waiting. And by introducing the changes we will greatly
simplify integration between Cocoon and other servlet frameworks. So
lets do this ASAP!

/Daniel