cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DatabaseReader can't get datasource
Date Sun, 05 Aug 2007 10:25:10 GMT
Kazó Csaba pisze:
> Hi,
>
> I think I've stumbled upon a bug in the databases block; it's quite obvious but I've
found no mention of it so far.

> The problem is that DatabaseReader and SQLTransformer fail to obtain the configured datasource.
(There might be other components with
> this problem, but these are the two I know of). The exception says "Component with
> 'org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.DataSourceComponent/personnel' is not defined
in this service manager.
> (Key='AvalonServiceManager')".
>
> The result is the same whether I define the data source in the Avalon [1] or Spring way
(defining a bean of class
> org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DriverManagerDataSource; at least I think it's the
Spring way, I've found no info about it yet). (The
> SQL transformer sample [2] is also broken, so it's probably not me doing something wrong.)

Your issue is tightly related to the COCOON-2083. In r553872 I have implemented experimental
bridge that allows to use connections defined
in Spring way in Avalon classes. I had no time to adapt samples and test it thoroughly, though.

> Now, I've found this nice 'Creating a Reader' page [3] and I've noticed that the code
it lists for obtaining the data source is not the
> same as in DatabaseReader.java [4]. Upon modifying the reader in accordance with the
sample in [3] it started to work again (both the
> Avalon and Spring way).

Good to hear that, it means that the wrapper works correctly!

> I'm attaching my modification as a patch to make it easier to see what I'm talking about.
(I have very little understanding of what's
> going on in the code involved; the patch might break things more, as far as I can tell,
despite the fact that "It Works For Me"(tm).)

Actually, your patch replaces usage of "simplified obtaining of ECM component"[5] by more
"complicated" one, that involves getting selector
component first and only then, a datasource.

The problem is that I have no idea which one (or both) way we support in Cocoon 2.2. If "simplified"
way is supported we need to provide fix
for COCOON-2083 enhancing functionality provided there. Otherwise, your patch is correct.

Carsten, can you comment on this?

> P.S. I'm using revision 560710 as the current head won't start because of cocoon-expression-language-impl;
I don't think it matters
> though, recent commits seem to be unrelated to the issue.

Kazó, have you actually tried current HEAD of trunk? I believe it should work without any
glitches. If not, report issues ASAP.

I usually try to inform the list if some changes breaks trunk for longer time.

> P.P.S. If I should've filed a bug report through JIRA, please tell me, and I'll learn
how to do so for the next time :)

Despite your patch is valid or not you should create new issue and attach a patch. It's just
easier for us to track things and the chance
that the problem is not overlooked is high, then.

[5] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/22364

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski