cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject [vote] Let our environment abtractions extend the http servlet ones
Date Sat, 04 Aug 2007 13:03:21 GMT
I would like o.a.c.environment.[Request|Response|Session] to extend
javax.servlet.http.Http[ServletRequest|ServletResponse|Session]
respectively.

The gain of doing so is that it will be easier to reuse Cocoon
components outside Cocoon and that it will be simpler to use Cocoon
together with other frameworks (see
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/59035/focus=59143
for a discussion about this).

A drawback is that some slight back incompatibility is introduced. The
most important one Request.getSession will have HttpSession as return
type instead of Session, and that user code needs to switch from Session
to HttpSession or downcast the return value to Session. Uses of
o.a.c.environment.Cookie needs to be switched to
javax.servlet.http.Cookie, (which has exactly the same API), see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/74322 and
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/74276.

I don't want this to collide with releasing 2.2, so I'll wait with
introducing the changes if there is any risk for that.

Please cast your vote!

/Daniel