cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: pom poms
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 18:10:02 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>> This has nothing to do with maven
>
> Is it? :)

No, not this time :)

>> - we now have different release cycles
>> for the various arifacts. It is no longer one single monolithic
>> application you built - it is an assembly of several parts. And all have
>> their own versioning etc.
>
> Yes but this does *not* make it impossible to assemble a tree which
> would consist of all (even separately) released artifacts which can
> nicely work together and you can still build all of them in one go using
> single command line command.
>
> Just to illustrate the point, in case above was not clear, it could be:
>
> tags/
>  \-- cocoon-2.2-rc1/
>       |-- core
>       |    |-- cocoon-core (copied from cocoon-core-2.2-rc1 tag)
>       |    |-- cocoon-pipeline
>       |    |    \-- cocoon-pipeline-api (copied from
> cocoon-pipeline-api-2.2rc1 tag)

> So - as mentioned on the top of email - it is huge pain to assemble such
> a tree, but it is absolutely possible to do.

Yes, but the tree is not what you might expect - it might be that we
have a cocoon-core 2.2.2 while we still use cocoon-pipeline-api 2.2.0
with impl 2.2.7. And even worse, you might want to decide to use impl
2.2.5 as you think that it works better than 2.2.7.

So what one could do, is maintain a list of all modules with their
latest versions, write a three lines script which checks out these
modules and versions, and you get what you want (at least I think this
is what you want). Oh, and we might have this list already in the root
pom in the version depmgmt (although I still think that this is wrong).

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org