cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Alfred Nathaniel <anathan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Let our environment abtractions extend the http servlet ones
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 18:42:25 GMT
On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 09:46 +0200, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> Unfortunately it is more complicated than that. The non-compatible
> change is that Request.getSession switches return value from
> o.a.c.environment.Session to javax.servlet.http.HttpSession and that
> Request.getCookie switch return value from o.a.c.environment.Cookie to
> javax.servlet.http.Cookie. You, of course, cannot have a method with two
> different return types. So there is no point in deprecating
> Request.getSession and Request.getCookie in 2.2 as we not will have any
> replacements until 2.3 in that case. So the deprecation mechanism is
> AFAICS not applicable.

How about this:

1.) In 2.1.11 add Request.getCocoonSession and Request.getCocoonCookie
and deprecate the current methods.

2.) In 2.2 let o.a.c.e.XXX extend the standard interfaces, change return
types of getXXX methods and deprecate getCocoonXXX methods.

3.) In 2.3 remove getCocoonXXX and o.a.c.e.XXX.

That allows for a smoother transition path for user components because
they can be made forwards compatible to work for both 2.1.11+ and 2.2
(if Session/Cookie is the only incompatibility?).

In any case, I am -1 on creating a 2.3 branch in the near future.  First
we must get out 2.2 and let it season on trunk to reach production
quality.  The parallel maintenance and forward and backward porting
between 2.1 and 2.2 was a terrible resource drain which we should try to
avoid as far as possible.

Cheers, Alfred.