cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Versioning XML Schemas
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:21:01 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakowski <at> apache.org> writes:

> I wonder what will be broken if someone sticks to 2.2.3 version of schema?

It's actually not so easy to stick to a particular version.
Quoting myself from the last mail:

> > With increasing the version number of the schema you have to adapt all your
> > references to the new version just to get your app working again. Or you'd
> > need to hold all versions probably in use in your local XML catalogue or
> > access them remotely.

Since this approach does not scale the problem increases with each new schema
version. I'd have no problem with somebody being forced to update the reference
if he wants to use a new feature (the additional attribute). But the approach
breaks drop-in replacement. You would at least need to update the XML catalogue.
I don't consider remote access a serious alternative.

Joerg