cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ellis Pritchard <el...@nukinetics.com>
Subject Re: RT: map:call as generic non-redirecting controller code
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 09:30:18 GMT

On 5 Jul 2007, at 22:33, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> Ellis Pritchard skrev:
>> Hi,
>> Ok, that looks interesting (head spin); presumably that's a 2.2.
>> thing with no plans to port back to cocoon 2.1.x?
>> Adding a new non-void method to Interpreter alongside the old one
>> does seem a bit pointless; currently I've implemented the old
>> method as just calling the new one: unless this API method is
>> really set in stone, it would seem to be better to re-factor the
>> signature of the existing method.
>
> I wouldn't have any problem with such a small refactoring of the
> API. But I have no expertise in "API development" policy. If anyone
> have, please give your advice. At least some headup would be needed
> before doing such s change, so that people that maybe don't follow
> a detailed technical discussion like this one, can give their
> feedback.

Yes, but I guess I can always submit a patch and people can vote on
it afterwards...

>> There is an alternative option I haven't previously mentioned;
>> simply returning values in the same way as 'bizData' is passed to
>> a sendPage*(), i.e. via the Flow context object. Thus (Grzegorz'
>> refactorings aside), the only change would be (for convenience) to
>> add a 'setReturnData()' JS method to call
>> FlowHelper.setContextObject() (Apples and JavaFlow would just use
>> FlowHelper) and write a very simple Action to call the flow
>> function. The flow-attr: module could then be used to access the
>> returned values in the normal way.
>
> Do you mean that you would have flowscripts like:
>
> myFlowAction() {
>   var result = calculateSomething();
>   setReturnData(result);
> }
>
> I would much prefer to just use the return value of the flowscript:
>
> myFlowAction() {
>   return calculateSomething();
> }

Agreed, the former is clumsy, but easier/less disruptive to
implement, the latter is much more natural and what I was originally
aiming at.

Ok, I'll look out for further feedback, but otherwise submit a patch
using the direct return method for people to review.

Ellis.