cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpServletRequest vs o.a.c.e.Request saga continues
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:53:05 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom pisze:

> The point is that both I and Reinhard want you to succeed with your GSoC
> project. I'm completely assured that you are capable of succeeding. But
> as you have become aware of the task isn't trivial. So to succeed you
> need focus on tasks that is necessary for your project and wait with all
> the rest of the interesting tasks that pops up until later.
>
> Priority and focus is everything for successful projects. The hard thing
>  is not to choose what to do, but to chose what not to do.

I agree wholeheartedly - the temptation to fix everything what demands fixing is really high.

Daniel and the rest, I really want to say that I enjoy and appreciate your personal and social
comments. All in all, Apache is about
building community first and code as a second goal; you really understand this principle,
IMHO.

>> I wanted to work on C2.2 release because current state of things
>> effectively stops me from continuing my work.
>
> It doesn't ;)

;)

>> On the other hand, I cannot (and wouldn't want to) release 2.2 only
>> myself so even there are folks willing to help whole process demands
>> some time and it cannot be speeded up by my full commitment. Thus I
>> think the quickest and most effective solution is:
>> 1. Revert changes in r559394 that broke the trunk
>
> We found a solution on that didn't we?

Yes, but this mail was sent before you explained what you meant. :-)

> For me it took a long time before I felt that I had the right to touch
> the core. So while refactoring the template stuff I did everything
> within the template block and worked on own copies of the object models
> rather than fixing the core ones. In retrorespect this was clearly
> counterproductive and I'm sure you wish that I had acted more confident
> back then. Now you have to clean up instead ;)

YES :)

> Anyway, *you have the right to work in the core*. And I'm pushing you
> beyond your comfort zone to accelerate the process in making you
> understand it. Actually, if you think about it, you are probably already
> the greatest expert on some parts of the core.

Thanks! It's really encouraging.

> Now, if you feel that it is absolutely necessary, you can of course
> branch the trunk. But think about the consequences. If you break
> something in your branch it is much less likely that you will notice as
> you are the only tester. You will get less feedback. And when you merge
> back to the trunk you will get feedback and error reports on things
> where you don't remember the details anymore. So in the end I would
> think that you don't win anything, quite the opposite.

OK.

> I think limited branching for testing an idea as you did a couple of
> weeks ago is fine as long as you merge back soon. But I think that
> working in a branch for more than a few days is a mistake.

I feel more comfortable in branch because I can commit often (and that is what I prefer) so
code can even not compile (it was a case in my
latest branch). I was really disappointed by the fact that svn log is lost during merging
back to the trunk so I was trying to find other
solution. It was a weird attempt, I must admit.

Since, I have green light for more braver actions in the trunk so I'm going to stay there.

> Don't know if the added complexity is worthwhile. What I would like to
> see is that we have a time boxed release scheme where we ship more or
> less automatically every sixth week. This would give a natural community
> rhythm where we can do experimental stuff in the beginning of the period
> and need to focus on making everything work in the end of the period.
> Eclipse does something like that and it seem to work really well
> http://www.artima.com/lejava/articles/eclipse_culture.html.

Already read this article. I agree with it.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski