cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Missing feature in XIncludeTransformer
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 19:40:56 GMT
Andrew Cave pisze:
> I'm curious as to why this failed to generate responses. Maybe someone
> could offer me some advice. Should I have just submitted my patch to
> JIRA first, or is there something else I should have done?

Speaking about myself: I missed your mail because I was busy with lots of other things. Kind
pinging our list (like you do so) does not hurt.

I comment your proposal below.

> Andrew Cave wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I noticed that Cocoon's XIncludeTransformer seems to be missing the
>> base URI fixup support specified in the W3C's XInclude spec [1]
>> (Careful, this is distinct from supporting xml:base to resolve
>> relative xi:include hrefs against).
>>
>> In short, it says that the base URIs of documents do not change when
>> passed through an XInclude parser. This means that xml:base attributes
>> with the value of the current base URI should be added to the top
>> level included elements. To see an example, the xmllint parser (part
>> of libxml2) will perform this attribute insertion when you enable
>> XInclude processing.
>>
>> I think this feature is important because otherwise, relative URIs
>> (i.e. links) in an included document will break if the included
>> document is not located in the same directory. Adding the xml:base
>> attribute to the result gives later content handlers the ability to
>> resolve relative URIs against the base. (In particular, I'm thinking
>> of using XPath 2.0's resolve-uri function).
>>
>> Any thoughts? Is this a feature we need to see?
>>
>> I think this is the cleanest and most general solution for resolving
>> relative URIs in included documents -- not to mention it's required by
>> the XInclude spec. Pending discussion here, I've created a patch that
>> adds this support that I can submit to JIRA.

I have taken a quick look at specification and everything what you said makes sense. Please
submit a patch, preferably for both 2.1.x and
trunk and I'll be happy to submit it. Submitting a test case for functionality you have implemented
would be awesome.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski